Facial steaming is one of the very simple ways you can prepare your skin, for easier absorption of skin care products.
I remember doing facial steaming as a teenager, but it’s unfortunate that in recent years, I can’t remember that I have done much of that.
Facial steaming can be a very good weekly self care ritual that you can do along side your other weekly face rituals like masking and scrubbing.
If you remember when you have a cold, and you would have to put your face over a bowl of hot water, sometimes with some mentol to decongest your nose and drain out the phlegm?
That is similar to what steaming does to your facial skin. It helps to decongest and clear the pores and drain out any toxins, grease or obstructions from your pores.
It’s one of the simplest and most inexpensive facial treatments you can do in the comfort of your own home. Not only will it leave your face feeling purified and cleansed, but also has a moisturizing effect that will give you the ultimate glow. If you haven’t used the the fabulous powers of facial steam yet… then you are in for a treat.
Benefits of Facial Steam
Cleaner and clearer skin is just a facial steam away!
Check out these fabulous health benefits of facial steam:
- Clears Up Acne: Steam softens the top layer of your skin and helps free dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria that cause irritations and breakouts.
– Helps Detox: Steaming increases perspiration and stimulates blood circulation. Sweating helps your body clear wastes and toxins… and will give you a warm glow in the process!
- Fights Aging Skin: Steaming promotes blood flow and helps deliver nutrients and oxygen to your skin cells. This helps fill out fine lines and wrinkles and rejuvenates your face.
Deep Cleans Skin: Facial steaming is an excellent method to deep clean your skin naturally and removes dirt, dead skin cells, and bacteria.
Prevents Dry Skin: The heat and moisture from the steam allow your skin to be more absorbent. As a result, skin care products can be deeply absorbed and keep your skin hydrated.
How To Facial Steam at Home
You don’t necessarily need a fancy equipment, with just a few simple and common items, you can easily do facial steaming at home.
Here are a few TIPS if it is your first time:
Check the water’s temperature: Professionals recommend 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius)
SLOWLY get closer to the steam to ensure you don’t burn yourself:
- Start at a distance that is comfortable for you.
Professionals recommend around 18 inches and work your way to no closer than 12 inches.
Getting too close can lead to broken capillaries due to increased blood flow so make sure to use caution.
Now let’s get started on your at-home facial steaming. Follow these steps to experience a relaxing, beautifying, and spa-like treatment:
1. Wash your Face using BSN DEEP CLEANSING FACE WASH: This frees your pores and removes makeup or dirt blocking the way, in a mild, gentle, non-drying way.
2. Prepare Equipment: Boil water and check its temperature. When ready, pour the water into a bowl. Prepare a towel to cover your head.
3. Ready, set, STEAM: Tie back your hair if needed and then lean your face over the steam for 5 to 7 minutes.
You can also add a few drops of your favourite essential oils to your water .
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Roman Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis)
- Lemon (Citrus limon)
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
- Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin)